Weekly Tuesday night dates have kept our relationship fresh for the past 13 years. We have a system that divides responsibilities evenly between us when organising a date night; and the person who plans the date, pays for it too.
For example, my turns are the weekly even-dated nights of the month. So, in January 2017, they are Tuesday 10th and 24th. Hubby looks after the weekly odd-dated nights of the month, which means his turns are Tuesday 3rd, 17th and 31st.
There’s plenty to do outside of the usual dinner & movie method, so here’s 50 creative ideas per budget; from free, up to $50, up to $100 and over $100:
- Create a Vision Board for Your Relationship – You’ll find this perfect at the start of the year or at a certain miletone. The point of this interaction is to work out your dreams as a couple, whether you cut out pictures from a magazine to stick on an A1 paper or write up goals on your laptop. Put some music on, pour yourselves a drink and enjoy a date night of creativity.
- Play a Board Game – Board games are often so much fun, whether it’d be a deck of cards, an old favourite or a new game.
- Paint a Canvas – You don’t have to be an artist or be gifted like Picasso to be able to paint, put your imaginations together and express them on canvas.
- Go Through Photo Albums – Reminiscing down memory lane is one sure way to remind you both of the special times in your relationship.
- Movie Marathon at Home – Rainy or winter nights are perfect for cosying up with a line of favourite movies so turn your phones off and cuddle up in front of the screen.
- Cook Something New Together – Think of a cuisine you haven’t tried before, look-up the recipe, grab the ingredients and get adventurous cooking in the kitchen together.
- Turn Your Dining Room into a Romantic Restaurant – It doesn’t take much to create a romantic ambiance. Light some candles, put on some Barry White tunes, open a bottle of wine and make your partner’s favourite meal. Voila! A romantic restaurant at home.
- Bathtub and Candles – Candles, foam and music in the background can turn any bath-time into a romantic one.
- Watch the Sunset – There’s something magical about watching the sunset together over the horizon.
- Have a Picnic – Pack a basket with delicious food, pick a good spot somewhere peaceful, spread out the blanket and enjoy the moment.
- Walk on the Beach – A simple pleasure that always delivers. Talking and walking hand-in-hand on the beach is a true and tested date night choice.
- Swim in the Ocean – Insert slow-motion playfulness in the ocean. Always a fun option.
- Climb a Mountain – One of the perks of doing this together is enjoying the view as a couple from the top of the mountain.
- Bike Ride – A simple bike ride around the neighbourhood is perfect for exploring and discovering your area together.
- Scenic Drive – Map out scenic lookouts for those stops to admire the view.
- Canoe Paddle – Canoeing is so much fun, bound to bring lots of laughter on the water.
- Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen – A wonderful way to connect your hearts as partners is to take care of the needs of others.
- Star Gaze – A great way to learn about our galaxy and the stars out there. You could even make a wish on a star!
- Movie Under the Stars – There’s bound to be movies under the stars in your area put on by the council for a certain period of time like summer for example. Perfect way to be outdoors on a blanket.
- Fishing – My hubby’s favourite. Peace and relaxation guaranteed.
UP TO $50 PER COUPLE
- Play Pool / Billiard– Guaranteed to be a lot of fun with a relaxed feel to it.
- Karaoke – Singing a duet may just bring out the Sonny and Cher in you both.
- Ice-Cream and a Stroll or People Watch – Always a reliable date night option, especially in summer.
- Play a Sport – Playing a round of golf or a game of tennis may bring out the competitiveness in you both but always good fun when it’s friendly.
- Coffee and Cake – Sharing a nice piece of cake over coffee is often a superb date night combination.
- Local Festival – Festivals often have that air of enjoyment.
- Wander Through a Museum – There are different types of museums out there from sports, history or art. Pick one you both enjoy and wander through together.
- Visit an Arts Centre – Arts Centres change what they exhibit often. So, keep an eye out on what’s happening at your local Arts Centre.
- Ten-Pin Bowling – I’m certain we’ve all tried bowling once in our dating life. Rediscover how much fun bowling is all over again.
- Ice-Skating – Rugging up in warm clothes, holding hands whilst ice-skating around the rink is quite charming.
UP TO $100 PER COUPLE
- Winery Tour – If you both enjoy drinking wine, you’d enjoy learning about them so visit a winery and organise someone sober to drive you back home.
- Theme Park – You’re never too old to visit a theme park for some wild rides and laughter.
- Drive-In – The vintage style of seeing a movie at a drive-in still delivers that romantic notion.
- Comedy Show – A date night watching a comedy show will deliver loads of laughs which can only be good for your souls.
- Horseback Riding – Horses are majestic creatures. Share the experience of riding one alongside each other.
- Duo Pampering – I’m talking massages, manicures and pedicures for you both that will leave you relaxed and rejuvenated.
- Watch a Sports Game Live – Get lost in the crowd, enjoy a drink and a hot-dog; barracking for your favourite team together.
- Take Dance Lessons – Not only are dance lessons educational, they are also amorous and will have you both ready for that next family or friend gathering.
- Night on the Town – You may have stopped going out on the town once you’ve settled into a long-term relationship. Revisit those moments from the past, hit the town together like the good old times.
- Shopping – Make that shopping for the passionate department. Browse the shops for what can add value to your romance and love life.
MORE THAN $100 PER COUPLE
- Gondola Cruise – Nothing is more romantic on the water than being glided by a gondolier in a Venetian style rowing boat.
- Boat Ride – Take the boat out if you have one or hire one if you don’t for a few hours. A breathtaking way to enjoy a date night on the sea.
- Jet Ski Thrill Ride – Two people on a jet ski is a lot of fun. Take yours out for the afternoon or hire one for a few hours.
- Skydive – This is one of the most memorable activities you can do together if you’re both up for the adrenaline rush.
- Helicopter Ride – Another great way to take in the sights together is from a helicopter.
- Hot Air Balloon – Floating in the air in a basket is one of the most peaceful activities I’ve ever experienced. Highly recommend it.
- Go to a Concert – Concerts are perfect when you see a favourite band or musician you have in common.
- See a Broadway Show – You may only to do it once, but once is enough. A Broadway show will take your breath away. Bonus is getting dressed up nicely for it too.
- Fine Dining – Fine dining done properly in an exquisite restaurant is unforgettable.
- Hire a Hotel Room for the Night – This is perfect if you have children that you can have babysat or you want to sleep in a different environment for the night. Use your imagination and have a good time.
There you have it, 50 creative options to a fun date night. It all starts with visualising what you want to do, see and experience with your spouse in a given time-frame and then to go about doing them. You can choose which date night suits your budget; from freebies to those over $100 per couple.
Whether you’ve been together for 5, 15 or 25 years, there’s always a way to keep your relationship fresh through creative thinking and planning.
“Happy date night!” – a greeting my hubby and I say to each other every Tuesday night.